To bring fairness, encourage self-sufficiency, independence, and finality to the parties of divorce.
- Amend the Minnesota alimony law so Judges have clear guidelines;
- Allow alimony to end or be modified when an alimony recipient cohabitates;
- Protect the truly needy;
- Eliminate lifelong post-marital support;
- Reduce expensive and adversarial litigation battles over vague alimony rules and interpretations;
- Promote equal, consistent, and predictable application of the law, regardless of the judge presiding or the judicial district;
- Provide a payor and payee an opportunity to plan and save for retirement; by establishing a retirement age when alimony ends.
- Encourage self-sufficiency and independence for both spouses;
What We Do
We are a group of women and men of all walks of life who are volunteering our time to encourage change in the current spousal maintenance (alimony) laws in Minnesota to:
- Educate legislators, the news media, and the public on the urgent and compelling need to reform Minnesota alimony laws;
- Testify before Minnesota legislative committees;
- Propose and support model legislation on fair and equitable alimony laws for men and women;
- Voice member horror stories to bring public awareness to the plight of men and women whose civil liberties have been taken away by the archaic, outdated alimony laws in Minnesota which no longer fit our day and age.